Sunday, November 01, 2009

Book Review - 2States (Chetan Bhagat)

For a change let me start with few comments on author before saying my review about this book
Chetan Bhagat - Budding Indian writer who has given 4 best sellers in a very short span and now entering into Bollywood screenplays/scripts. Being an IIT/IIMA alumini the country would expect more from him than being a writer. He safely escapes saying 'Pen is mightier than sword'...India is in need of more Tatas,Premji's and NarayanaMurthy's than a bollywood screenplay writer. I am not commenting this being so jealous on a person who is lucky to persue his passion, that too being in India. My only point is not to have wasted a costly seat in India's leading institutions. By the way why dont these institutions come up with a rule that their students should serve their country and show a profit of XYZ $ before moving out to any part of the world. All alumini's of IITs/IIMs come out with a notion that they are born and brought up to be slaves of leading MNCs, except for few exceptions. Our Government should also race with other MNCs and be ready to pay more and grab these (so called tagged)smart people.
Ok...coming to the book...its a super cool personal blog published as a book. The author needs special appreciation for his witty and simple style of writing. I feel all his books so far are based on his real life experiences. waiting to see something different from him...
Seen more as a youth icon than just an author, this IIT D/ IIMA graduate is making India read like never before.
This sounds so funny to me- not sure who took the statistics to see how good were Indians in reading before and after Chetan's book releases. Probably being an IIMA alumini he is putting his marketing skills at its best.
Chetan's official website - http://www.chetanbhagat.com/

3 comments:

Ramesh said...

>>My only point is not to have wasted a costly seat in India's leading institutions

thats so much of an old-school thought.. Remember, you live in democratic country and everyone is entitled to do anything..

& by the way, what rule should be put to those people who went & used up a costly seat in one of India's leading universities.. (Anna University)..

you think, they should be called back and asked to serve the country for 5 years? :)

you know history? remember USSR?

Lakshmi said...

Madakitaye Anna....:))
Yes I too feel I have wasted that seat. In India by the time you get to know your passion/field of interest you would be in your 50's waiting for your retirement...
I just went by the flow of life...
Still I dont justify what I did was right, but I didnt have any other choice!!!!!

Balaji said...

Hmm.. the popular perception of IIM and other management schools being meant for building people for MNC's is not really true, it is to open up the inner strength of the people studying there and utilising that potential to the maximum extent....

This is what Chetan did and he did it very well too. I admire and appreciate his golden words " Be sincere not serious"!!!

I can say this because, every 3rd person who works with me is from some IIM...!!!

Balaji